As I have been writing my story, I have realized that I’m so much more than my diagnosis. Yes, something bad happened and it changed the course of my life dramatically, but I am still someone who has hopes and dreams and experiences that aren’t related to bipolar disorder. So, here is a list of 10 things that you don’t know about me. You might be surprised by the life I have lived thus far…
1. I was born with 2 holes in my heart and a crimp in my aorta. I had open heart surgery when I was 2 years old and for a long time my life was consumed with visits to cardiologists and taking antibiotics every time I go to the dentist. I have a scar that looks like a big exclamation point in the middle of my chest. It used to be an embarrassment, but it has become a badge of honor.
2. I was a ballet dancer for 20+ years. I actually have 2 college degrees that are centered around dance and non-profit organizations. I don’t look like a dancer anymore, due to my meds causing weight gain, but I even performed in Italy during graduate school. It was quite an experience.
3. I grew up in a smallish town in Texas. Football was/is king. I am proud of being from Texas but I’m even prouder to be a New Orleanian. Home is where you feel most comfortable. Laissez les bon temps roules!
4. People who cross their eyes freak me out. It makes me terribly uncomfortable. I had a reoccurring nightmare when I was little about people changing into aliens when they cross their eyes. Irrational, yes. But, I still don’t like it.
5. I love the Muppets. You know, Jim Henson’s Muppets. They never fail to bring a smile to my face. I think Miss Piggy is one of the most glamorous characters of all time. Maybe someday I’ll be glamorous like her.
6. I once convinced 2 college guys I met on Spring Break that me and my bestie were from Russia. We had them convinced the whole evening and laugh about it even now. Boys can be dumb. Babushka…
7. I think llamas are beautiful. They have really luscious eye lashes, and who doesn’t appreciate nice eyelashes?
8. I really like to cook. My husband and I cook extravagant meals together on a meager budget. There is something awesome about mastering a bechamel sauce on your first try.
9. I don’t like it when people touch me with their feet. Not that a lot of people have touched me with their feet…my husband does this to me nightly and it makes me stabby. Keep your feet away from me!
10. I have never ridden a motorcycle. My dad was a spinal cord rehabilitation nurse and forbid me to ever ride on one. The fear still lingers. Sorry, REDdog!
So, I hope you learned something new about me. Nothing that I have shared is too earth shattering, I just hope it gives you a little insight to who you are reading about. My life hasn’t always been consumed with my diagnosis. It’s just what I am currently dealing with. Maybe someday, I’ll get back to a ballet class. One can always hope.